Co-Habitation Agreements and Un-married Couples’ Rights

If you are in an unmarried couple and your relationship breaks down, you may be surprised to find that you don’t have the same rights as people who are married or in a civil partnership.

This means that if you decide to separate you don’t automatically have the right to share in each other’s finances and property.

Whether you are moving in together or just planning for the future, it is a good idea to seek legal advice as there are steps you can take to give yourself certainty and avoid potential unfairness.

If you are considering moving in with your partner without getting married, we could help you put together a Cohabitation Agreement. This clarifies:

  • Who owns what, including your home, joint bank accounts and belongings
  • How payment of household bills is to be divided
  • Maintenance payments for any children, including school fees and payments for housing

Cohabitation Agreements are legally binding and enforceable, giving you real peace of mind and security for the future. We have particular expertise in relationships where one or both parties has significant wealth or owns property overseas.

Working with you, our solicitors can advise you on your situation and take you through every step of the process. Our no-nonsense approach will ensure you understand your options and feel comfortable with every decision you make.

If you require further advice on rights for unmarried couples, please contact us to speak with one of our experts.

3 Easy Ways to get in Touch

Call Us

Call us on +353 1 663 2000

Email Us

Send us an email and we’ll get in touch.

Request a Callback

We’ll call you back at a time that suits you